I made through airport security in ATL by the grace of God. I prayed the whole way through. It was tough...saying goodbye and then having some man tell me I'm doing something wrong. I wanted to look at him with my tear-stained eyes and say "I'm leaving my friends and family to move across the world and serve my God, does it look like I care?!?!" I didn't think that'd be an appropriate way to handle things though. Instead, I sucked up my tears and tried to talk to mom through the ropes that I needed a one-quart bag. (It's a long story that I'm not going into here) After that was the lonely tram ride to Concourse E and the walk to my gate. For a person who doesn't like to do things alone, I've been pretty proud of myself. And as Mindy reminded me, I'm not alone! And that much is true!! I have the Almighty God on my side!! And if He can raise Jesus, He can bring me to Singapore!
The flight was long, but surprisingly I didn't completely hate it. The last leg (from Korea to Singapore) seemed the longest and it was only about 6 hours. I think because I just wanted to get here already!!! I'm not so much on the patient side (in case you didn't know that about me). I was rather anxious going through Incheon AIrport in Seoul...going through security, checking in, and TRYING TO FIND WHAT GATE TO GO TO!! I wouldn't suggest changing planes in a country that uses characters rather than letters. I had the HARDEST time finding "Singapore" on the screen! It wouldn't stay on English for more than 2 seconds. Let me tell you it is pretty difficult to hunt it down on the HUGE screen!!
Praise!!! I got through Immigration in Singapore without a hitch (I was nervous about that, but I gave it to God, and of course, He came through!), I picked up my luggage and it was all there!!! That never happens! Praise God!!! He was taking care of me!!! All 3 bags, even the 70 lb one!! The director of the school, Dr. Beeson and DeAnne Byrd from the school were there to pick me up. That was a sweet sight!!! DeAnne informed me that I would need to meet her at the school in the morning to go to the doctor for my physical so I could get my green card. That sounds weird...me...green card. At any rate, back to the story, they took me to the Parker's house where I'd be staying for a while. On the family's card the house is appropriately called "Parker Palace."
So on my first full day in Singsing, I woke up at 6:30 (yuk) and ate a breakfast (a bagel that reminded me of home). We took a taxi to the school to meet DeAnne. Then DeAnne, The Fraziers (my new adopted family since PFO), and I went to the doctor. That was a small adventure. Not your typical American doctor's office. So I had to get a x-ray, blood work, and doctor consultation. It wasn't scary, just different. From the doctor we went the mall and I had my first "Chicken Rice" and I was pleased. I really enjoyed it!! I think I'll be having that often! We went back to the school so I could have my tour and see my room.
I was suffering from serious jetlag and laid down on my floor for an hour nap. Then we came back to the Parker Palace for dinner. I had some trouble sleeping (again) and woke up in the morning to make some phone calls to those I love most!! I then decided I wasn't finished sleeping. I headed back to my bed until about 3 in the afternoon. I was invited for dinner with two of the single teachers at work. So here's my disclaimer for the next few lines: I rarely do things by myself in the states, much less to try in a foreign country, right? So I attempted my first bus ride!!!!! And very very nearly successfully had my first ride! I only missed my stop by one, and it wasn't very far. I stretched my tastebuds and ate swedish meatballs, which I don't normally like, but I enjoyed them! I also stretched my belly with several slices of apple pie! :-) I'm such a pig! Then I had to get ready and rested for my fun-filled day of tourism Saturday!!!! (Another blog to come with pics from that day)
Thanks for listening!
Love you all and miss you!!!
Jenn God is so good! As I read your blog I see God's hand over you protecting you and giving you such awesome courage over and over again! I still miss you terribly but its a great comfort to see how perfectly God is taking care of you. I love you!
ReplyDeleteNichole