Monday, October 6, 2008

Things about Singapore

Ok, so if any given day you were to call and ask me, "Jenn, how's Singapore?  What do you think about it?"  Depending on the randomness of my mood, I've come up some sample answers...and have included them in this blog titled "Things about Singapore".  Please do keep in mind...these are coming from me! :-)
  • You know how I love summer storms in Georgia?  Seeing as how it is eternally summer in Singapore, we have them here too!  It isn't a week in Singapore without a good ole storm or two with thunder, lightning, and a couple hours of rain!  It makes me smile!!!!
  • I hate the winter...I don't have to hate it here!  It's always warm!!  Benefits of being near the equator.
  • Get this!  I was sitting at the bus stop early one morning and got chills.  Not because I was sick or because I was creeped out, but because it was chilly.  Now people say when you get cold outside in Singapore, you know you are good here.
  • Anything imported from the states in the grocery stores is no less than 3 times as much as it would be in the states. (Toll House break-n-bake cookies=$12.00, 3 bags of PopSecret popcorn=$8, pint of Ben and Jerry's=$14)
  • I was a happy girl when I found somewhere on the island that serves Mountain Dew!
  • It's crazy how there are more Starbuck's and Coffee Bean's here than I've seen anywhere before.
  • Clothing stores like GAP and Tommy Hilfiger are selling winter clothes in Singapore right now.  I could buy a wool sweater from GAP for S$100, but I don't know when I would wear it here.
  • I spend a lot of time waiting for/riding on public transportation.  I'm so very grateful that Singapore has a good system set up that could get me virtually anywhere on the island.  Granted it might take an hour(or more), but I can get there.
  • If I'm willing to wake up and be at the bus stop by 6:30-ish, this wonderful couple, Sam and Noelle, will pick me up on the way to work and give me a ride.  This saves me about 15 minutes on the bus and a 10 minute walk.
  • It is so humid here that you need so much rice in the salt shaker that you can barely get the salt out.  It makes me laugh.
  • There is this road (I think there might be a few of them) where there are strings of lights hanging down from the trees...it's very festive.  It makes me smile!
  • I love how most public places play American music.  Quite often I find myself singing out loud and usually dancing until I realize that those funny looks on people's faces is because they are staring at me!
  • I found myself with tears in my eyes the other day when I walked in a restaurant called "Hog's Breath."  It's either American or Australian.  It smelled like a BBQ place...aaahhhh home sweet home.
  • I miss driving.  I miss finding short cuts to places.  I miss singing at the top of my lungs to the radio as I'm driving.  I really haven't found anywhere that I can do that...hmmmm.
  • I love that there is an IKEA here and it is actually relatively cheap for Singapore.
Well, I hope you enjoyed that as much as I did.  Maybe that wasn't the best title for this blog, but...hey, that's what you get when you visit "Jennland" (a.k.a. my mind).
Today's adventure at the mall was partly due in my attempt to buy stationary so that I could write some of you.  I have received a few cards (and for those I am so so so grateful!!!!!) and am trying to write you back.  Without stationary that is difficult, so I thought I would solve that problem.  Easier said than done in Singapore.  I walked through 2 malls (3 floors on each) and walked out without boxed stationary.  I finally found some at this bookstore, but I was not going to pay over $20 for 16 cards.  I resorted to creativity...or lameness...but I prefer creativity.  I bought some notepad with decorated paper in it.  I will write on that and send it in an ordinary envelope.  
ADDED TO THE LIST OF "THINGS-TO-GET-WHILE-AT-HOME-FOR-CHRISTMAS":
stationary sets
more Sharpies
THE END

1 comment:

  1. I'm not surprised that sharpies are on your "get from the States" list. lol

    ReplyDelete